Putting tape on windows does NOT do any good if in a storm, OK?
These 5 chapters were a bit of a slog for me. I realized that I consistently have trouble with time shifting. The cognitive load of keeping multiple timelines straight distracts me from enjoying the narrative. And it makes me think: "They're STILL eating sushi?"
Just to confirm that I'm not imagining this, I'm going to list all the timelines in these 5 chapters:
- Chapter 10 Brad is calling from Charleston: "the present":.
- Chapter 10 Annie's career at the Naval Academy: 5 years ago?
- Chapter 10-11 Annie's wedding: 3 years ago?
- Chapter 11 in Emerald: a few months after the wedding.
- Chapter 11 Annie leaves Brad: a year later?
- Chapter 11 Annie's neighbor Trevor: a few more months later, maybe one year ago?
- Chapter 11 Brad's calling again: the present.
- Chapter 12 Is Annie in Emerald or is she on an aircraft carrier?: 2weeks after leaving Brad
- Chapter 12 On the phone with Georgette: sometime later.
- Chapter 12 Emerald: a bleak March weekend. I need the Sam-Brad relationship explained.
- Chapter 12-13-14 after a review of Annapolis, we're back to the present.
- Chapter 14 flashbacks to Annie's 3rd, 5th and 7th birthdays.
Rafael Rook is a fantastical character. I'm pretty sure nothing he says turns out to be true. But I think we're supposed to pay attention: El camino no está en el cielo. El camino está en el corazón. (The road is not in the sky. The road is in the heart)